FINALLY The British Curriculum

Crossing Yulong River, New Years

By 肯尼 Kenny

Ni hao.

Guess who? The British Curriclum is finally back!

So at school we are part of an Asian school league, FOBISSEA: Federation of British International Schools in South East Asia. And this year there will be a sports day for this. Not sports day, but sports week.

You will have to compete in All sports and here are the sports: soccer, basketball, swimming, track & field. But the thing is, they were selecting 12 boys from years 7 & 8. And the best part is, I made it!!!!!!!!!! In 2 months I will fly to Shanghai to compete aganst schools from Beijing, Shanghai, Taipei and Seoul. Wow that sure beats town soccer!

So anyhow, can you please comment to this: What do think when you hear the word China?

This is what I thought before I came to China: The Great Wall, bad air, corrupt government, over populated, Communist, and tough schools. but now I think of China a whole lot differently: has deserts, destroying lots of old arcitexture, beaches, eco tourism, capitalist, severe loss of forests, farming in Ghana, has 150 cities with over 1 million people, good cheap food.

But what I want to know is, what do you think of when you hear ‘China’?

A house from the Qing Dynasty time

7 comments on “FINALLY The British Curriculum

1. Mark Bradford says:

I have never been to China, but when I think of “China” now, I think alternately of (1) the way its mountains are depicted in centuries-old paintings, and (2) some of the architecture that’s probably disappearing – the modest residential compounds closely abutting each other, with enclosed courtyards.

2. Harriet Appel says:

The word China evokes a number of responses. Horrible pollution, repression of individual rights, vastness, great cuisine, very intelligent people, centuries of history involving emporerors and hierarchical civil servants, over population, and abuse of rules governing economic freedom to name a few.

3. maxine swartz says:

I’ve only been in Hong Kong, and what I
    observed were lights on in offices till the
    night, busy streets with cellphones on every ear, Beautiful silks, not costly, Rivers and the ferry to the big Stanley
    marketplace, Custom Chinese tailors everywhere, beautiful antiques in a separate district….
    gramma max

4. dan coplan says:

Congrats Kenny on making th sports team! Play on!

5. Aidan says:

I have conflicting thoughts about China. Reading Coplans in China had made me more aware of the oppression and pollution there. That reality does not square with my experiences with Chinese brush painting, which bring to mind a profound love of all creation, and thoughts of orchid, bamboo, chrysanthemum, plum blossom, mountain landscapes, chi.

Aunt Amy

6. Jake Rich says:

when i think of china, i think of:
    the great wall
    chaiman mao
    Basketball

But i never really think of china because the patriots are in the Super Bowl Kenny!

7. janni says:

when i think of china i miss you all.